Friday, January 9, 2009

Unleashed!!!!!


So...here I am in 2009 and completely ready to be Free. I mean...REALLY Free. I'm talkin' about...COMPLETELY Free!!!!! I'm me. I'm real. I'm who I am. However, I'm ready to be me, real, and who I am in a new kind've way.

I have this problem...this issue. It's been hindering me since I was a kid...always stressing me out and always on my mind. I think it's just now hitting me and I'm realizing how much it's plagued my emotions, my time, my heart, my energy. What is it? The fear of hurting/offending/angering people. Instead of naming all those verbs throughout this blog, I'm simply gonna' call it "offending people." That should sum it up, I think. ;-)

Okay...I know it sounds completely retarded and stupid...probably even petty to some. BUT...it's the truth. I hate knowing I've offended someone. I go out of my way to pacify people just so they won't be upset or mad at me. A large part of it stems from knowing how much I use to get offended at people. I was the world's WORST!!!!! Not saying I still don't get my feelings hurt at times and definitely not implying I never get angry. God has brought me so far...and I've chosen to go.

I heard years ago that it's impossible for someone to make another person angry, but it's a reality that people allow themselves to become offended. I really grabbed hold of that this past year. Perhaps it's because I've been in a situation in which I've seen so many people wearing their emotions on their sleeves and become so offended that they simply quit and walk away from people, commitments, churches...even from Ministry.

The Message translation of Galatians 2:20 says, "I've been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear Righteous before you or have your good opinion..."

Just one of the amazing Words from God.

About a year ago, I somehow--and for reason--stopped trying to impress people...even stopped trying to impress God. I'm me. I'm who I am. I'm learning about who I'm supposed to be and striving everyday to get there. I'm not trying to go too slow or too fast...just going at the only pace I know how. God's pace. Ego isn't really my issue. It's the fear of offending people.

Pastor Wayne Sheppard preached a sermon a few years back on that same Scripture. He got one of the students to lay on the floor and play dead while another student pretended to kick him. He said, "If you're truly dead, you can't feel that. If you're truly dead, you won't care. You can't feel when people hurt you, when people offend you, when people make fun of you or get mad at you. When you're crucified, you're dead. You can't feel what people do to you because it's no longer you living...your flesh is dead."

I'm not big on new year's resolutions. Perhaps it's because I've made so many and broken them all. Not really sure. BUT...if I had to name one, it'd be one with two sides to it: no more allowing myself to be offended AND no longer allowing the fear of offending people to hold me back.

Let me make myself clear here...I'm not at all saying I no longer care how I treat others. I'm simply stating I can only do my best...and that's it. I will treat people with all the Love, care, and respect in the world. People who know me (and I hope people who've known me for only a short time) know I would never in a million years hurt or offend someone intentionally. Never.

I'm learning to walk away. I'm learning to move on. I'm learning how to reach out, then step away after doing all I can do. I'll walk a million miles with someone...go as far as I can possibly go. Forcing my help and constantly stepping in to save someone else's pain is admirable, but I've learned I can also get in God's way. Sometimes, a person needs to experience God on their own.

So...I'll chase someone down to ask for Forgiveness. I'll go wherever they are to sit down face-to-face and pour my heart out with an apology. BUT...I refuse to become an enabler or stroke their pride. I've been on both ends of that scenario...neither is fulfilling or and neither is healthy. I'll encourage as much as I can, but there's a time to let go and let God. Seems so cliché, I know.

With all that said, I'm ready to be "Unleashed." I feel as if the Church (notice the upper case 'C') can see the Prize right in front of us...what we want is at our fingertips. We're reaching for It and stretching our arms as far as they can go. It's the sins--big or small--that cause our feet to remain planted and keeps us from walking towards and grabbing our Joy, our Peace, our future. It's time to cut the cord and "bind the strongman". The key, however, still remains in how much we want to be unleashed. Taking a leash off a dog makes no difference if the dog isn't interested in what's laying right in front of him.

We're preparing for the "Unleashed" program at The Summit. It's a six week series dealing with acceptance (the fear of being rejected), grief, anger/bitterness, divorce/separation, and addiction. The last week will be a straight up celebration of being Free and "Unleashed." Of course, there are a million other issues we could discuss. These are just a few.

You're more than welcome to attend. Starts at 10 a.m. on Sunday mornings and 6:30 on Wednesday nights (for the Elevate Student Ministry). The small groups will be participating, as well. You DON'T wanna' miss it.

I'm so excited about this program. If we'll just really think about these messages and the urgency to become what God has Called and created us to be...we can be "UNLEASHED"!!!!!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Sherrie,

This is good resolution for the new year. I think it's more about speaking the truth in love. That is hard to do and sometimes it does offend people but if those people love you, they will get over it! I hope you have a wonderful year and that God grants the desires of you heart! Love you sis!

Anonymous said...

Oh sure! don't mention the insane graphics............mmm hmm.