Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mr. Ables...

So I found out early this morning that one of my favorite teachers, a dear friend, and a Geraldine school legend passed away. Mr. Martin Ables...a name extremely familiar to so many in and beyond DeKalb County.

I've always known him...he's been like a family member to the Hiett family. Absolutely could NOT wait to have him as a teacher...he was legendary. His room was the coolest, his style of teaching was the most unique, and his passion for education was beyond belief. Two of my favorite things about his classroom: the library loft he built in the back and the mannequin standing beside his door. We always knew by how the mannequin was dressed what we would be learning that day. He had an outfit for everything.

I LOVED taking tests in his room (I know...sounds crazy) 'cause he always played classical music on the tape player (wow...a long time ago...TAPE player!). I can't remember how many times my eye was almost put out from him calling out our names and slinging our report cards at us. That was the ONLY thing exciting about report card day...it definitely wasn't because of my grades!

Perhaps my all-time favorite memory at Geraldine school was the hike we took to the mill, which would later become his house. The whole sixth grade class walked from the school, through the woods, and all the way to the place he was remodeling so he could live in it. He'd stop us along the way and show us a random plant or give us a brief history lesson on a random building we passed. He had a vision. WE didn't see it at the time...too much bird poop and lots of rotted wood. But, man...Mr. Ables was passionate about it. One of the coolest things at that time was in his sunroom. The cement had five minutes to dry and he had the sudden and brilliant idea to carve out a sun. Perfection. It looked amazing...still does.

He brought everything to life...made learning and being creative fun. He made me wanna' stay in the sixth grade forever just to be in his class again and again.

That house...MAN! That house!!!!! What a landmark in Geraldine...in DeKalb County. He brought the world to that house. It might be from a vase he bought in Italy or a random and unique clock he spotted and bought for a dollar at a yardsale. No matter where it came from, he made it the coolest thing ever. He opened that house up to so many...one being my family for my sister's wedding reception. Couldn't have gotten any better than that day and couldn't have meant more to the family knowing it was at Mr. Ables' house.

What a friend. What a servant. What an educator. What a passionate heart for the things of the world. What a MIND!!!!!

He had this crazy ability to take something someone would discard or count as useless trash and turn it into something priceless. I should know...he did that with me and about a thousand other students passing through his class.

I can't help but be jealous of him today. First and foremost, he is at the feet of our Father...and I know Jesus is smiling on him today. And...he's hugging my sister right now. Wow...what great friends they were!!!!! How hilarious they were together!!!!! They should've written a book...I'm convinced. Such a bittersweet feeling right now.

So many memories. So many laughs. So many teachable moments. So many times sitting at his house, playing cards, laughing at crazy random stuff, and leaving his house feeling as if I just had a valuable and inspiring moment.

Mr. Ables...thank you. You were and forever will be greatly Loved and appreciated for everything you were to so many. Such a man of character and integrity. Your legacy will be carried on through every student you had. You didn't just teach us, you inspired us.

Enjoy your new life. Can't wait to see you again. Please give my Melanie a big hug and tell her I'll be there soon.

I Love you...

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What an amazing impact he had not only on his students, but to everyone he met!

Anonymous said...

Sherrie, you don't remember me I'm sure, but I was a good friend of Melanie's; I still continue to miss her. I was also one of those students of Martin's that he was able to turn into something better than what he started with. I won't go so far as to say priceless, but at least better than the original. I just got the news of his death from Lisa Rogers; I am stunned beyond belief, but I also take respite in knowing that he has finally become that angel he was always preparing to be here on earth and that he and Mel are having a great laugh. Wish they would share the joke with the rest of us. Please give your mother my love.

John Hendrix
john_hendrix0121@yahoo.com

Beverly Guice said...

Martin was and will always be a kind, wonderful, inspirational spirit. I'm thankful for having the opportunity to have known Martin and will cherish my fond memories of him forever! Beverly Guice